The long awaited new firmware 1.3 for the Canon EOS R5 / R6 is finally available. The following improvements have been made for the R5:
- In the video section, it now also supports the Canon Log 3 format and the compressed Canon RAW (Light) and IPB (Light) formats.
- Furthermore, FullHD-Video in 120p is now available.
- In photography, we now have the new AF mode Electronic fulltime MF, which seems to allow manual focusing in Servo AF mode with the focus-by-wire RF lenses as well.
- Finally, it is possible to save the camera settings to a memory card and restore them from there.
- Besides the display of the estimated duration of the FTP data transfer, some other bugs have been fixed.
The firmware 1.3.0 for the Canon EOS R5 can be downloaded directly from Canon here. There is also a first test of the new video functions of the R5 with firmware version 1.3.0 by Jordan Drake on DPReview:
The update for the EOS R6 is not quite as extensive:
- In video, the IPB (Light) format is now available in 4K, which requires less storage bandwidth
- Also the revision of FTP file transfer is present
- The R6 now also supports the AF mode Electronic fulltime MF
Unfortunately, the new firmware of the R6 still doesn’t support Canon Log 3 (but it is supposed to be added in a later version) and it is also not possible to save camera settings to memory card.
The firmware version 1.3.1 for the Canon EOS R6 can be downloaded directly from Canon here. There you can also find a more detailed description of the changes.