Once again, Canon has released a new firmware version for the EOS R5. The new version 1.4.0 primarily brings numerous welcomed improvements in the video area.
Support of ProRes RAW in 8K with the ATOMOS Ninja V+
For the filmmaking professional, the ProRes-RAW format is now supported at 8k in conjunction with the ATOMOS Ninja V+* recorder. The ProRes-RAW format is becoming much like the industry standard for video RAW recording and is supported by Apple’s Final Cut Pro, Adobe Première Pro and Avid Media Composer, among others. Videos recorded in this way allow white balance and also ISO to be adjusted in post-production.
This external recording solution also avoids the R5’s internal recording limit of 29:59 minutes. In addition, the overheating problem of the EOS R5 should be significantly improved, since the camera needs less computing power and the storage on the CF card, which also produces heat, should be omitted. More precise information about the achievable recording time is not yet available, though.
Video lens support
Another step forward for the professional video market is the support of two new video lenses, the CN-E18-80mm T4.4 L IS KAS S and the CN-E70-200mm T4.4 L IS KAS S. Both lenses with EF mount are especially corrected for focus breathing and support a motor zoom.
Simultaneous video recording on 2 memory cards
In addition - and desired by very many people - the R5 can now record video on both memory cards at the same time. However, this naturally does not apply to RAW formats, since the recording speed of the SD card is not sufficient for that.
And for photographers?
In the photo department, the update adds better support for the new RF Supertele 400mm f/2.8L and 600mm f/4L. Also, a reported bug of the IS sometimes not taking effect immediately after camera startup has apparently been addressed.
All in all, the update contains a whole bunch of welcome improvements. This shows that the R5 is still up to date for Canon and is a hot seller.
The new firmware can be downloaded directly from Canon here. The manual and the associated applications have also been revised and can be obtained there in new versions.
Here again is the official description from Canon:
Firmware Version 1.4.0 incorporates the following fixes and enhancements:
- Adds support for outputting 8K/30p/10-bit video signals for ProRes RAW recording to ATOMOS’s Ninja V+ recorder* via HDMI.
- If you have any questions about ATOMOS products, please contact ATOMOS directly.
- Please note that the recorder may become hot.
- Adds support for movie recording when the camera is connected to the CN-E18-80mm T4.4 L IS KAS S or CN-E70-200mm T4.4 L IS KAS S EF cinema lenses.
- Still photography shooting is possible however performance is not guaranteed.
- Movie shooting in vertical position is possible however performance is not guaranteed.
- External power supply is required for AF operation during servo zoom operation. When there is no external power supply, AF operation is activated only when the servo zoom is not in use.
- Adds simultaneous movie recording capability on card 1 and card 2, however RAW movies and RAW(Light) movies cannot be recorded simultaneously on card 1 and card 2.
- Adds support for the VPG 400 (Video Performance Guarantee Profile), a standard based on the CFexpress 2.0 specification.
- Improves operation stability when using the RF400mm F2.8 L IS USM and RF600mm F4 L IS USM.
- Fixes an issue in which, during HDMI connection, if the camera’s screen turns off, a zebra pattern is displayed via the HDMI output.
- Fixes an issue in which sufficient image stabilization effects may not be attained immediately after the start of shooting.
Firmware Version 1.4.0 is for cameras with firmware up to Version 1.3.1. If the camera’s firmware is already Version 1.4.0, it is not necessary to update the firmware.
The User Manual on our website has been updated accordingly. Please download the User Manual as well as the latest firmware. You can download it from the official website.
The Applications have been updated accordingly. Please download the Applications as well as the latest firmware.
*= Affiliate Link